We’ve been living full time in our van for over a year now. The only things permanently installed are the sofabed and the composting toilet. Everything else has just been scattered around on the floor. It’s time for that to change.
We didn’t expect to be waiting so long to install more fixtures in the van, but it’s taken us this long to figure out exactly what we wanted to do (we also tend to prioritize outside activities over ‘house work’).
The complete shelving/cabinet plan is still being formulated, but we’re getting quite desperate to reclaim some floor space and take advantage of vertical wall space, so the first phase is to build a cabinet to house the battery bank, compressor fridge*, and other random small stuff.
*As a side note, I know we haven’t posted about our fridge before, so here is a quick rundown. It’s a National Luna Weekender Twin 12V compressor fridge. It has a fridge (40 liters) and a freezer (10 liters) compartment. It is a bit spendy, and we’ve had it for almost a year now, and well worth it. The fridge has been running 24/7 since the day we got it problem free.
Okay, so the fridge is a chest style and the lid opens upward. Not wanting to reserve a large open space above the fridge for lid operation, we picked up a pair of Accuride 9308-16 16″ 500 lb locking drawer slides and a couple metal straps to mount the fridge on. It works wonderfully.
The cabinet is deep enough to house the Goal Zero Yeti 1250 with an additional 100AH AGM battery laying down longways behind it (giving us room for future battery expansion if we so decide), about 24 inches deep. The fridge is only 16 inches deep, leaving extra room behind it for a large semi-hidden storage pocket, which works great for lap desks, blankets, etc.
The cabinet is secured to the plywood subfloor we installed as the first part of insulating as well as to the vertical ribs along the wall. And yes, the entire thing is made with 1/2″ plywood and L-brackets. It is the lazy man’s way of cabinet building, and I’m fine with that. A few coats of polyurethane clear satin have been applied to help protect it from moisture.
Eventually, we’ll probably do something with the vacant space around and above the toilet as well as something on the passenger side (probably partially blocking the sliding door). For now though, this has been a very welcome upgrade.