We are finally to the last layer of insulation for the walls and ceiling!  While we lived with pink walls for a number of months before having the time to finish up the insulation, the reflectix was only exposed for a week or so.  Freezer status was quite temporary.  That’s right, this post is all about hulliner.

We ordered 10 yards of hulliner to cover the inside of our van.  In theory, we should have had plenty of extra.  In practice, it was just right, leaving us a number of small scraps, but not enough to fix any big problems.

van_hulliner1

We started with the largest piece, the driver side wall.

After some back-and-forth about which way to put the hull-liner up, we decided to put it up in three pieces: driver’s side wall, passenger’s side wall, and ceiling, with the pieces meeting at the corners.  The goal was to minimize seams.

van_hulliner2

The rear corners were tricky.  Since there’s a bunch of wiring running to the tail lights and other stuff, there’s a chance we may need access to it in the future.  For the corners, we didn’t glue the reflectix or carpet and instead used a couple christmas tree clips to secure it all.  These can be pulled out and the carpet/insulation will fold back for access.

As far as getting the hulliner installed, we mainly used more spray glue, but used fasteners where possible (in ribs) just in case some of the glue fails.

van_hulliner3

The passenger side was the second piece installed. Even though it was smaller than the first, and we now “knew what we were doing”, it was more troublesome than the driver side.

It took a long time to find them, but we managed to get a hold of a bunch of plastic christmas tree clips that match the clips securing the factory headliner in the cab. The dealership doesn’t carry the tan color, and the black ones they did have were insanely expensive, around $6 each!  We found them on Ebay for only a few cents each.

van_hulliner4

The ceiling seemed like the place where the glue would most likely fail. And while the spray glue bonds almost immediately, we propped up a bunch of boxes and sticks to hold the hulliner in place overnight to ensure a good bond.

This stuff is seriously unwieldy in large pieces.  We knew we wanted to put fasteners in as well as gluing it just for the sake of insurance against the glue failing, but those plastic buttons also came in handy simply for holding it up while we glued.

van_hulliner5

Christmas tree fasteners are used in all the ribs to help keep everything in place.

We worked systematically from the front of the van to the back for each piece, drilling a hole for a christmas tree button, pushing it in, gluing the part that button held up, then on down the line.  We trimmed at the corners and around the wheel well to make things look nice (as best we could, anyway, wish we could have made it look still nicer).

van_hulliner8

With the three big pieces installed, we started trimming the excess off where the seems will be.

The MaxFann has been left looking pretty ugly since installing it, but with the insulation layers finally all done, the interior trim can finally be installed.  We also opted to leave the wiring exposed and not covered by the hulliner or insulation.  It may look a little bit odd with a wire having to be fished around and pinned to the wall, but this way it’s easy to replace the wiring if something were to happen to it.  It also affords us the option to plug it into our house batteries (to be covered in a future post) or the starting battery.

van_hulliner9

Looking back towards the rear with everything all finished. Notice the MaxxFan finally has a trim piece installed!

Last of all we covered part of the sliding door.

van_hulliner11

The upper portion of the (window-less) sliding door was covered too.

The whole process was relatively simple, if a pain. It looks great now, no longer freezer-like, though it could have come out better.

van_hulliner12

Looking rearward before putting the sofabed and all our stuff back in.

I didn’t know what to expect when we decided to use hulliner for the finish layer, but it turned out okay.  Geometric hulliner is fairly easy to work with, but it’s easy to get out of hand when dealing with large pieces, especially once very sticky glue is applied.

van_hulliner13

Looking forward before putting the sofabed and all our stuff back in.

We’re not pro’s, so it doesn’t look absolutely perfect with a couple of wrinkles sprinkled around, but in the end, we’re very pleased with it.  And it’s definitely a welcomed change from living with pink foam walls for the last few months!